My Family's Favorite Lemon Loaf
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
9 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 3⁄4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Finely grated zest of 2 lemon
2 cups confectioners sugar
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Butter a loaf pan and add 2 tablespoons of flour. Coat the pan with flour and tap out the excess. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until creamy and smooth. Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the lemon zest, vanilla and the lemon juice. Slowly mix in the flour, salt and baking soda. Just mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
4. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 70 to 75 minutes.
5. In a medium sized bowl add in confectioners sugar and 4 tablespoons of the lemon juice and whisk together until smooth
6. While the loaf is still warm, top with a little of the glaze. This glaze will soak in. Let cool.
7. When the loaf is cool gently run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the loaf. Remove the loaf and set on a plate to glaze. Drizzle or coat the top of the loaf. Let the glaze set.
8. Wrap and up share with friends and family or enjoy at home.